Tuesday 21 May 2013

Learning from the Classics (old & new)

Here's something to buck the trend of this blog: it's a video about 20 minutes long. It's not about swimming. It's not about reading as such and I wouldn't normally put something visual on here.

But it's a speech by JK Rowling, (author of Harry Potter - just in case there's anyone out there who doesn't know that!) to graduating Harvard students in 2008. It's humorous and enjoyable but with its serious side too. She sprinkles references to reading across it lightly but with relevance. I share it with thanks to my friend Peter Clark for passing on the link.

Rowling talks very movingly about what she calls 'the fringe benefits of failure', having experienced reaching rock bottom herself. About how it strips you down to the bare essentials of who you are. How, without knowing how long the tunnel of darkness will be and with only the hope of light at the end, you can, with personal effort, rebuild and grow again. She does acknowledge not all of us will achieve on a similar level to herself!

I've been there too and I know it's true but it also reminds me of what I said before about FRED's learners: they achieve more when choosing to learn has been a very personal decision and that it's often a life event or change that triggers that choice. As Rowling (a Classics graduate) says,  quoting Plutarch: 'What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality'.

Rowling also talks about imagination which she describes as: "the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared."

I suspect it is often because FRED's volunteers have the imagination to empathise that they choose to volunteer for us and achieve what they do for our learners.  If you can similarly empathise, perhaps you'd  consider making a donation to help FRED continue its work.  If so, please send a cheque made out to Forest Read Easy Deal to:

Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL

It was a very scrappy swim today. I had to share a lane with two other people. Usually everyone else is getting out and I have the last half hour to myself.

Keeping to the sides of the lane makes things trickier - my arm keeps catching the rope during backstroke. The choppiness of the water makes it more tiring and as I take my breath I find my mouth is full of water instead of air.

I can't mentally get into the swim because of the distractions so, although my body still feels good afterwards, I've not really developed that sense of calmness I've come to expect.

Plus points though: for the first time in several swims I did not hit my head on the side of the pool.

And I try front crawl again.

I remember to slow everything down, not to take a breath every stroke. I manage half a length before, for some quite odd & unidentifiable reason, the sight of the steeply descending bottom of the pool, puts me off my stroke entirely and I revert to breast stroke.

But I don't hate it. I even feel that if I put my mind to it the way I did with breast-stroke all those years ago, I might actually get around to enjoying it. Certainly to some sense of pride at being able to face it without the big mental barrier I've had till now.

Inward achievement changing outer reality.... as per Plutarch.




No comments:

Post a Comment